Okay, so I've made a major decision. In 2012 (probably in August or September) I'm moving to Amsterdam.
Now before you think this is a rather rash decision, keep in mind I've been finding it hard to vacation anywhere besides Amsterdam for the past six years. Ever since I spent four months there, living in an apartment I rented from a friend who rented it from a friend who owned a yoga studio (and only used the three bedroom flat I sub-subletted on Saturdays for magic mushroom tea parties), I couldn't stop coming back.
It's not the drugs. I like a puff. It's great for menstral cramps, migrains, and for hangovers. Still even when I lived in A'dam for four months, I actually started treating marijuana like other people treat alcohol. Not every day, sometimes too much, but in a sort of situationally dependent moderation.
Now that the weed issue is cleared up, let me tell you why I was standing on a bridge spanning the Keizergracht about a week ago crying my eyes out. I didn't want to go home this time.
It was raining and the wind was pretty brutal and it was cold and my hair was so wet it was dripping. And yet I still knew I wanted to move to Amsterdam.
So from time to time I'm going to talk about it if only because relocating is a fairly interesting topic and I haven't been an expat maybe since I went to the US for school (and then stayed so long I was no longer considered an expat anymore).
I'm going to start by getting my neighbour to help me with my Dutch (I have a year afterall, I should be learning more Dutch every day!), make plans, find out information, and when the time nears find an apartment.
I can't help it and I know my Dutch friends think it's a bit hilarious, but ik hou van Amsterdam.
Now before you think this is a rather rash decision, keep in mind I've been finding it hard to vacation anywhere besides Amsterdam for the past six years. Ever since I spent four months there, living in an apartment I rented from a friend who rented it from a friend who owned a yoga studio (and only used the three bedroom flat I sub-subletted on Saturdays for magic mushroom tea parties), I couldn't stop coming back.
It's not the drugs. I like a puff. It's great for menstral cramps, migrains, and for hangovers. Still even when I lived in A'dam for four months, I actually started treating marijuana like other people treat alcohol. Not every day, sometimes too much, but in a sort of situationally dependent moderation.
Now that the weed issue is cleared up, let me tell you why I was standing on a bridge spanning the Keizergracht about a week ago crying my eyes out. I didn't want to go home this time.
It was raining and the wind was pretty brutal and it was cold and my hair was so wet it was dripping. And yet I still knew I wanted to move to Amsterdam.
So from time to time I'm going to talk about it if only because relocating is a fairly interesting topic and I haven't been an expat maybe since I went to the US for school (and then stayed so long I was no longer considered an expat anymore).
I'm going to start by getting my neighbour to help me with my Dutch (I have a year afterall, I should be learning more Dutch every day!), make plans, find out information, and when the time nears find an apartment.
I can't help it and I know my Dutch friends think it's a bit hilarious, but ik hou van Amsterdam.

No comments:
Post a Comment
Please leave a comment.