To celebrate the four year anniversary of my blog, I decided to celebrate by undoing the hoo-doo that I did to my laptop so I couldn't connect to the Internet for an entire month.
I shouldn't be so dramatic. I didn't completely deprive myself of the Internet for 30 days. I shut it off on my laptop and used Mr Z's laptop when he was at work on Tuesdays,Wednesdays, and Thursdays. I also had access to the Internet on my phone, which I used when Mr Z was around and I needed Internet access.
This experiment resulted in some interesting findings:
1. If Twitter were crystal I'd have meth mouth to rival Amy Winehouse (too soon?).
2. While it is possible to read Wikipedia pages on a Samsung GII, your eyes will not thank you for it.
3. I primarily use the Internet to look up recipe ideas, tweet, play Settlers of Catan online, and leave sassy comments on Gawker.
4.If I could have found a way to play Settlers of Catan on my phone this whole reconnect to the Internet thing wouldn't have happened and I pretty much plan to disable my Internet for at least 4 scheduled hours a day because I got so much done in a month.
5. I don't need to be online as much as I thought I did.
That being said, I was sort of surprised when I looked at my blog stats and saw how long I've been at this. I don't blog with regularity and I've always sort of wished I had that discipline, but to see the stats has given me a sort of push.
Here are some my stats:
First post - Shutter Speed - A short story about overhearing things from the courtyard outside my Paris apartment while doing laundry that's full of typos posted on March 1, 2008.
My most popular posts of all time include subjects such as Bob Marley, my obsession with my Samsung GII, Karen Blixen, Lee Miller, Man Ray, monsters, the Droste Effect, a Lost Generation, and Surrealists.
Most of my readers are from the US followed by my readers in the UK, France, Canada, Germany, Italy, Australia, the Netherlands (hoi!), Spain, and Poland.
Now stats are a nice way to feed one's slightly malnourished ego, but it's also a sign that maybe I should step it up a little. Especially if my writing is going at a nice clip at the moment. I had an idea to start a blog that would contribute to my aspirations to be a writer. I'm sort of working out how I'd like to do that now, but I definitely plan on doing something.
Aside from having been paid to blog (which is much easier than coming up with things to blog on your own let me tell you unless you already know cause in that case I will shut up about it now), I'm kind of not a natural blogger. It sort of reminds me that after having read Anais Nin's diaries that I remembered I had all these diaries from when I was little until I was in my 20s. I was super excited. I went to the trouble of driving ten hours to dig them out of storage to see what treasures there would be in these notebooks and diaries and sketch pads. Most were less than 1/2 full. I had to accept I was never going to be some prolific diarist one day.
I really tried to keep this blog interesting and worked on a premise of "quality over quantity", but it's hard to blog when your life gets boring. That's why there's so many posts about cooking because my life has to get pretty fucking boring before I decide to eat sandwiches for more than two days in a row.
I've been peeking at blogs and Tumblrs of other successful authors, Neil Gaiman being what I consider one of the greatest in the bunch. JK Rowling's is adorable and full of nifty code and great graphics. Yet none of them appeal to me entirely.
I want to make it completely by myself meaning code, graphics, and all - and although I'll be quite handy at the code bits the graphics bits will be a real challenge. I suppose we shall see. I have lots of sketches and things about I could scan.
So do please keep a look out for the announcement that my new website is up and running. It shall be forthcoming. Ever presently and such.
Silliness aside though thanks for reading. It's gotten me to a point where I found the courage to put myself out there a little more.
I shouldn't be so dramatic. I didn't completely deprive myself of the Internet for 30 days. I shut it off on my laptop and used Mr Z's laptop when he was at work on Tuesdays,Wednesdays, and Thursdays. I also had access to the Internet on my phone, which I used when Mr Z was around and I needed Internet access.
This experiment resulted in some interesting findings:
1. If Twitter were crystal I'd have meth mouth to rival Amy Winehouse (too soon?).
2. While it is possible to read Wikipedia pages on a Samsung GII, your eyes will not thank you for it.
3. I primarily use the Internet to look up recipe ideas, tweet, play Settlers of Catan online, and leave sassy comments on Gawker.
4.If I could have found a way to play Settlers of Catan on my phone this whole reconnect to the Internet thing wouldn't have happened and I pretty much plan to disable my Internet for at least 4 scheduled hours a day because I got so much done in a month.
5. I don't need to be online as much as I thought I did.
That being said, I was sort of surprised when I looked at my blog stats and saw how long I've been at this. I don't blog with regularity and I've always sort of wished I had that discipline, but to see the stats has given me a sort of push.
Here are some my stats:
First post - Shutter Speed - A short story about overhearing things from the courtyard outside my Paris apartment while doing laundry that's full of typos posted on March 1, 2008.
My most popular posts of all time include subjects such as Bob Marley, my obsession with my Samsung GII, Karen Blixen, Lee Miller, Man Ray, monsters, the Droste Effect, a Lost Generation, and Surrealists.
Most of my readers are from the US followed by my readers in the UK, France, Canada, Germany, Italy, Australia, the Netherlands (hoi!), Spain, and Poland.
Now stats are a nice way to feed one's slightly malnourished ego, but it's also a sign that maybe I should step it up a little. Especially if my writing is going at a nice clip at the moment. I had an idea to start a blog that would contribute to my aspirations to be a writer. I'm sort of working out how I'd like to do that now, but I definitely plan on doing something.
Aside from having been paid to blog (which is much easier than coming up with things to blog on your own let me tell you unless you already know cause in that case I will shut up about it now), I'm kind of not a natural blogger. It sort of reminds me that after having read Anais Nin's diaries that I remembered I had all these diaries from when I was little until I was in my 20s. I was super excited. I went to the trouble of driving ten hours to dig them out of storage to see what treasures there would be in these notebooks and diaries and sketch pads. Most were less than 1/2 full. I had to accept I was never going to be some prolific diarist one day.
I really tried to keep this blog interesting and worked on a premise of "quality over quantity", but it's hard to blog when your life gets boring. That's why there's so many posts about cooking because my life has to get pretty fucking boring before I decide to eat sandwiches for more than two days in a row.
I've been peeking at blogs and Tumblrs of other successful authors, Neil Gaiman being what I consider one of the greatest in the bunch. JK Rowling's is adorable and full of nifty code and great graphics. Yet none of them appeal to me entirely.
I want to make it completely by myself meaning code, graphics, and all - and although I'll be quite handy at the code bits the graphics bits will be a real challenge. I suppose we shall see. I have lots of sketches and things about I could scan.
So do please keep a look out for the announcement that my new website is up and running. It shall be forthcoming. Ever presently and such.
Silliness aside though thanks for reading. It's gotten me to a point where I found the courage to put myself out there a little more.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Please leave a comment.