Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Make a 10 Minute Dessert Look Like It Took 60 Minutes

Sometimes when I cook a big meal I don't want to mess with dessert. Truth be told despite some of my baked accomplishments (like cheesecakes), I really dislike baking. I'm sort of a pinch of this - bit of that kind of cook. Baking requires precision and attention over long periods of time where it seems like nothing happens. I like the fast pace of bringing the meal together. Once it's time for dessert I've exhausted my supply of culinary fireworks.

Hence this dessert. Ideally served in the summer months when lots of different berries are in season, this dessert impresses and requires very little effort on your part.

I buy quatre-quart in France, but poundcake works just as well. I slice it into nice thick slices, sprinkle sliced strawberries, raspberries, and blueberries - use a small spoonful of Bonne Maman jam, some whipped cream, and voila! A yummy dessert that will impress, but be simple enough that it's obvious you're not trying to fool anyone. You can use peaches, berries, and even crushed chocolates (with cherries is yum too).


I use the same cake to make a fruit tiramisu (with raspberry liqueur), but that definitely takes longer than 10 minutes, so I'll feature that the next time I make it, which may be very, very soon as this was a delicious treat after a long day of running round Paris (you know, scouring my favourite vintage boutiques).


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...